Friday, 28 June 2013

'I have no need of you.'

Blue EyeWe are all different. We all have something to offer. We are all better in a team of complementary players.

The Bible says that local Church is a group of people who all have a part to play. The ear needs the eyes. The eyes need the ears.

I think it is challenging and complex to genuinely achieve diversity of strengths in teams and churches.

I think sometimes we implicitly communicate 'I have no need of you' by the way we approach problems.

'We just need to teach our people better.' If we say this all the time we will be communicating to leaders that they cannot make a difference. Teaching is good but it is not all we need.

'We just need to pray more about this.' If we say this too much we will dis-empower strategic thinkers. Prayer is good but it is not all we need.

'We just need to plan more thoroughly.' If we say this too much we will exclude the need for faith and spontaneous leading. Planning is good but it is not all we need.

'We just need to change the way we lead.' If we say this too much we will communicate that we do not value prayer or demonstrate a need for faith. Leadership is good but it is not all we need.

'We just need to hear from God (through prophesy)' If we say this too much we will communicate that we do not value wisdom and experience and sometimes even common sense. Prophesy is good but it is not all we need.

We could go on...

I guess most of us want to face challenges using our own personal strengths. I suppose this is natural. I suppose this is why leaders attract leaders who are like themselves because those with similar gifts feel valued, accepted and can play their part.

In the rugby culture different strengths were very much respected. The huge strong (slow) prop forwards were appreciative of the fast (light) runners. There was respect and honoring and a covering of each others weaknesses. I would like to play my part well to help cultivate this in my local Church. I want my Church to be a place where strength in different ways is cherished and appreciated. I guess this is more easily said than done...

No comments:

Post a Comment