Wednesday, 23 February 2011

Move that body!

I find at times I know something to be true, but my experience and feelings do not match that conviction. Do you know what I mean? For example, sometimes I know I can do a task, but I don't feel confident in the moment. As a Christian I say that I love God but often I do not feel the affection and joy which I hope that I would given how great God is.

Is my mind and heart connected?! Am I cold hearted? How can I be more human?! How can I do big things when I am nervous but I know I am called to it?!

At leadership training last week Irene Brooks from CCK briefly referenced recent studies in psychotherapy which focussed on the body's impact on the mind. (This as opposed to the impact of the mind on the body.)

Perhaps we are now in the realms of subliminal learning? My Dad has worked hard on this area as part of his Phd in 'performing under pressure' and keeps suggesting the I read the book 'blink' by Malcolm Gladwell. (It is on my list!) It appears that one of the results for Dad has been a huge emphasis on body language and posture. If you are not feeling confident, stand up straight and put your shoulders back!! If you know something to be true in your mind, that you are struggling to live out... set your body first! This is a powerful tool.

Both Dad and Irene seem to be saying that the body and the mind are far more integrated than I would think. It seems that God has made us in a way which means we can lead our whole selves with our bodies.

I find this very interesting. Andrew Wilson referenced this in a lecture a couple of years back. He commented on how you can lead your heart towards God through your actions. He talked about the psalms and giving among other activities...

Psalm 134:2 Lift up your hands to the holy place and bless the LORD!

Psalm 33:1 Shout for joy in the LORD, O you righteous!

Mat 6:20-21 but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

These verses call for action! I think God is great, and here I'm asked to set my body as a response. I don't think that I have to work myself up or try and manufacture anything. I do not need to wait to feel anything either. With my body, I have an opportunity to lead my heart and my affection towards where I want them to go.

When I want to praise and worship or even just talk to God I can stand and lift my hands... when I'm called to lead his people I can stand with my shoulders back knowing what he has promised me and I can take hold of what I know to be true. I can lead myself by setting my body in line with scripture! 

Not very English but perhaps this will be a helpful insight for a tired daddy. X

2 comments:

  1. Great thoughts. Thank you.

    Here's an interesting twist: Since being saved God has lead me to be physically fitter and healthier. My heart has grown spiritually but also quite literally from knowing Jesus.

    Probably wansn't enough room in there before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Given our future is so physical it's not too surprising the body would be important.

    ReplyDelete