Sunday, 22 August 2010

Parenting #4 You're in charge

Christians should experience and trust that true freedom is found, not with no master, but with the best master!

Like a fish 'restricted' to water is how I feel when I live within the commands of God.

Under God's commands, parents, receive authority from God, over their children. I find this amazing to ponder. God has set my wife and I 'over' my son. What a responsibility he has given us.

We therefore respond to the loving commands of God. Tedd Tripp writes, "You (parents) act at his (God's) command. You discharge a duty that he has given. You may not try to shape the lives of your children as pleases you, but as pleases him."

I will answer to God for how I have answered his call to me as a parent.

He calls us to be in charge. Yep.

"You must undertake all your instruction, your care and nurture, your correction and discipline, because God has called you to."

Parents, under the authority of God are called to be in authority over their children. God really calls parents to be in charge of their children. Ephesians 6

Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2 t “Honor your father and mother” (this is the first commandment with a promise), 3 “that it may go well with you and that you may live long in the land.” 4 Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, u but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.

PJ Smyth writes, "With the anti-leader, child-centred, men-are-just-the-same-as-women, don't-you-dare-lay-a-finger-on-a-child culture we live in, parents need to be confident that they are called and commissioned to lovingly but firmly train and disciple their children."

Roles and goals

This is something of our role. However, authority is not given by God with no purpose. Authority is not given by God without also giving a manner by which we are to behave and a goal to which we are to lead to.

He calls us to take responsibility and also gives us goals to aim for and methods to use... I do like to 'let the paint dry' here for now. This makes me pray more, like right now!

1 comment:

  1. this is really helpful. and i like the photo!

    ReplyDelete