Wednesday, 16 June 2010

Great runners (part 4)


Great runners trust the Father through suffering. Hebrews 12v7-11

George Muller[1] On Sunday, February 6, 1870, his wife Mary died of rheumatic fever. They had been married 39 years and 4 months. The Lord gave him the strength to preach at her memorial service.

He said,“I miss her in numberless ways, and shall miss her yet more and more. But as a child of God, and as a servant of the Lord Jesus, I bow, I am satisfied with the will of my Heavenly Father, I seek by perfect submission to His holy will to glorify Him, I kiss continually the hand that has thus afflicted me.”
Calvin

Calvin and his wife Idelette had a son who died after two weeks. Jacques, was born July 28, 1542, and two weeks later died. As Mike Reeves quotes in his lectures[1] Calvin wrote, "The Lord has certainly inflicted a severe and bitter wound in the death of our baby son. But He is Himself a Father and knows best what is good for his children"
Spurgeon

Charles Spurgeon had a bed ridden wife, extreme physical illness, severe depression and was publicly and harshly criticised.
"It would be a very sharp and trying experience to me to think that I have an affliction which God never sent me, that the bitter cup was never filled by his hand, that my trials were never measured out by him, nor sent to me by his arrangement of their weight and quantity"

Reading these short extracts made me weep. I think the pain of even considering such loss and at the same time the longing for a depth of faith and love of the Father which these men knew if find very emotional. I wonder was the Lord has on the horizon for me and the people who I know in life.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoying the series.

    And, do keep labeling them - will make them much easier to find later.

    ReplyDelete