Saturday, 20 March 2010

Inspired by our soldiers




Philippians 2:25 I have thought it necessary to send to you Epaphroditus my brother and fellow worker and fellow soldier, and your messenger and minister to my need...

2 Timothy 2:4 No soldier gets entangled in civilian pursuits, since his aim is to please the one who enlisted him.

Philemon 1:2 and Apphia our sister and Archippus our fellow soldier, and the church in your house.

1 John 3:16 By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers.

There is something about the Army which draws respect and admiration from me. I had the privilege of spending some days with the Marines two years ago. It was a limited but amazing experience. The discipline, stakes and the relationships inspire me.

Paul uses military language to convey his heart and attitude towards his ministry and his brothers. This at least in part shapes what I want to see in the teams I lead and the people who I work with. It is an element which I find provocative and attractive as we work out what is means to be a family on mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment