Wednesday, 31 March 2010

Happy holidays

I'm not very good at resting. I'm quite an intense person. I enjoy setting goals and working hard to achieve them. I enjoy planning and being focused. I don't like slowing down.

Rest is something that I am learning to enjoy. I like that in resting I am being like God rather than being lazy. I enjoy being obedient and I'm working out how that fits with holidays and family. As a single man I'd either be doing something active or sleeping.

Chloe and I have booked time off this Easter. Tonight I finish. We will be in Church for the 'High Sunday' then back for April 13th. Holidays reveal the differences between my wife and I. It is really quite funny when I think about it. She rests by being active, spontaneous, visiting coffee shops, chatting and seeing pretty places. Her expectation is that we will be mostly on the go while 'resting'. By contrast I would want to be playing sport or sleeping in the sun. We had a nightmare holiday in Paris last year as we began to work this out!

As the man I want to take responsibility to ensure that we have a good rest and refreshing time as a family. Chloe and I have a plan:

  • We have a loose plan and have shared hopes and expectations.
  • We will have a week away.
  • We have babysitters around.
  • We will be active and spontaneous, coffee shopping etc each morning and chilled in the afternoons.
  • We will look to have early nights. :-)
  • Chloe will drive to see her sisters midweek.
  • I have a round of golf booked.
  • I am decorating our room for Chloe with some help. (!)
  • We will spend time reading the Bible and praying together.
  • I will take her out for our date night. New place. :-)

I'm really looking forward to quality time as a family. My wife is such a gift to me. She supports me and releases me often and wholeheartedly. I want to create memories and serve my family like Jesus served the Church during our holiday.

1 comment:

  1. decorating on holiday is the thing to do next week eh! I'll be doing the dining room here, while Em pops away - shout if you fancy a beer-break or something.

    ReplyDelete