Friday, 14 August 2009

Pastor Dad

Mark Driscoll notes a few thoughts on being a daddy drawn from the Bible and from his experience with 5 children!

Dad is responsible

Eph 6:4 Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.

"The father is ultimately responsible for the cultivating of his children along with his wife."
"Practically this means that everything in the life of the child is ultimately the responsibility of the father."

Context of discipline

"Before any father disciplines his children, he is commanded to delight in them. Practically this means that most of a father's time is spent enjoying his children, encouraging his children, laughing with his children, being affectionate with his children so that there is a deep bond of love and joy between the children and their Dad."

Dad at home

"Every man in the church is supposed to conduct himself as a pastor in his home."

"More than bigger governments, bigger schools, more free lunches, more child therapists, more child medications, more day cares, more prisons, and more birth control, we need more godly men who raise their sons to be godly men who raise their sons to be godly men who raise their sons to be godly men."

Primarily Dad to provide

1Ti 5:8 But if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

Just as in God's good creation...

Gen 2:15 The LORD God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to work it and keep it.

Big family or fruitful ministry?

"Wisdom leans to the future, and I pray that my sons and grandsons and great grandsons worship the same God, preach the same gospel and preach the same Bible so that the work of the gospel outlives me. I can assuredly get more gospel work done with children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren than I can by myself."

On reflection...

My relationship with God is secure because of all Jesus has done for me and given me. He is good to me. I remain far from perfect in every area of my life and being a husband and dad is painfully no exception. As I walk with Jesus it is my expectation that he will change me increasingly by his grace and kindness to be the man that he made me to be. As I turn from values of the world to God and his values I expect to increasingly bless my family bringing glory to God and joy to myself as a Pastor Dad in my home.

Things I'm considering...
  • Prayer for myself as Dad.
  • Quality time and attention to my family. 'Man adventures' with Rufus and 'date night' with my wife.
  • Prayer for my son.
  • Family devotions.
  • How many babies?!
  • Thanking God for my family and my job.

1 comment: